Call to Action in Defense of Life
Friday, March 6, 2013 a joint hearing with the Maryland House of Delegates Judiciary and Health and Government Operations committees will meet jointly to hear HB 1021 the
Doctor-Assisted Suicide Death with Dignity Act.
I have spoken with Delegates fighting this bill who have asked us to get the word out and to ask our readers to contact members of these committees and let them know of our opposition to this bill. While it appears the bill is unlikely to pass, the vote is close and there are especially some wavering Republicans who need to hear from pro-life conservatives.
If you need some facts to include in your email, please read our post In Defense of Life and the many linked articles making the case against bringing Oregon styled doctor assisted suicide to Maryland. Here are some bullet points:
- The bill requires doctors to lie on the death certificate about the cause of death when there is an assisted suicide. This is a clear indication of the duplicity of the movement behind this bill. Similar bills in other states are calculated to lead to a one third increase in the suicide rate.
- Let legislators know about the “dark fusion of socialized medicine and institutionalized medical euthanasia” that is already occurring in Oregon as exemplified by the examples of Barbara Wagner and Randy Stroup.
- Let them know about the excesses of physician assisted suicide in not only Europe and Oregon.
- Remind them that the nation faces a crisis in suicide and a lack of suicide prevention that bills such as this, especially with the championing of the idea of “automony”, promote suicide generally. Suicide is already the 10th leading cause of death in America with more suicides every year than homicides.
- For progressive members, share with them the Progressive Case Against Assisted Suicide, and remind them that similar legislation was voted down by the public in Massachusetts in 2012.
You can find links to the list of committee members, with contact information, by clicking below:
Trending: Red Maryland Radio: The Final Episode