MY VIEWS ON THE WEEKEND WORLD NEWS
The venue for her venom is a panel on “sexual diversity” at a Latin American Studies Association conference in San Francisco May 23-26.
Raul’s little girl, 50, is a gay rights activist and director of the Cuban National Center for Sex Education in Havana. I was surprised to learn Cubans have gay rights.
Senator Marco Rubio chimed in with: “(Mariela) Castro represents an arm of the Castro regime…I think the U.S. government’s decision to grant the daughter of Raul Castro a visa to come to the United States and spread the propaganda of her father’s regime is outrageous and an enormous mistake. It is shameful that they would grant that visa.”
Article 1 of the 1992 Constitution of the Republic of Cuba,the fifth constitution since its independence from Spain, proclaims “Cuba is an independent and sovereign socialist state of workers, organized with all and for the good of all as a united and democratic republic, for the enjoyment of political freedom, social justice, individual and collective well-being and human solidarity.”
Trending: Red Maryland Radio: The Final Episode
▪ The Atlanta Journal Constitution reported that Italy deployed “20,000 to protect sensitive targets.”
A recent story stated that “Italy increased security Thursday [May 18] at 14,000 sites, and assigned bodyguards to protect 550 individuals after a nuclear energy company official was shot and letter bombs directed to the tax collection agency.
“Under the enhanced measures, Interior Minister Anna Maria Cancellieri deployed 20,000 law enforcement officers to protect individuals and sensitive sites. In addition, 4,200 military personnel already assigned throughout Italy will be redeployed according to new priorities.
It was also reported that “Authorities will also increase intelligence to ‘neutralize’ the risk of subversive actions ‘that can be nourished in moments of tension.’”
▪ I hear a currency change coming in the Euroworld.
▪ The violence in Syria has now spilled over the border of Lebanon.
▪ Weekend warrior Obama said the U.S. is making “diligent progress” on the re-opening of supply routes from Pakistan to Afghanistan.
▪ At the summit this weekend, he and his G8 pals came up with a way to get out of the war in Afghanistan by the end of 2014. The troops only have to keep fighting and dying for two years, seven months and ten more days.
As they say, “Have a good week!”